|Photographed by Steven Winston Photography|
Hi all! Maybe because the season has officially changed to summer, and also because I have, for the first time in my life, actually started caring about having a beauty routine per season. I'd love to share how I'll be taking care of my skin and hair this summer.
Ok, just a bit about me first: I have skin that enjoys changing it's type. I bounce between dry and oily, occasionally combination, and always sensitive. *sigh*. I'm currently leaning towards oilier skin. Dark circles under my eyes do exist. I tend to get spots from sun exposure. I tan unevenly. And as my hair is straightened (my normal hair type is defined as pure frizz), therefore my hair needs to be moisturised and deep conditioned weekly.
- I NEVER sleep with makeup on. This should be an obvious step for everyone, but as I recently discovered it's not.... Please remove your makeup and cleanse every night. Sometimes, all you need is a good makeup remover. I love this one. Your skin needs to breathe!
- Cleanse every morning (in addition to at night). My favourite cleanser is Clinique's Liquid Facial Soap ($14). Using this cleanser only once a day simply doesn't cut it though - use it twice for best results (that's what it also says in the directions, btw).
- SPF. On your whole face and body. This prevents spots, and also, I just learned that SPF prevents wrinkles! Yay! I'm using this sunscreen as a first step every single day for face - it's very important to let this sit before applying other makeup. And this Kiehl's mineral moisturiser with SPF ($29) for my body (emphasis on arms, legs).
- Garnier's BB Cream ($12) is the perfect next step, it's so moisturising and it provides a great amount of coverage. As my skin is currently oily, I haven't yet found a good, mattifying moisturiser. In the meantime, I've been starting with this BB cream, and am very happy.
- To cover my dark circles and other spots, I'm using Clinique's Beyond Perfection ($27)! This is a new addition, and you may remember me talking about it in this post. I am loving it. And this is after a long, successful run with Clinique's All About Eyes, ($16) (also recommended).
The difference between the two is: All About Eyes is a bit more condensed, a bit heavier. Beyond Perfection has more of a matte, airbrushed finish, while All About Eyes is all depending on how YOU blend it. I have a feeling I'll be switching back to All About Eyes come winter - but there's still time before then.
- To seal it all, I am loving this face powder. A drugstore gem (under $5).
- Eyes: Oh, I've been stuck with these for YEARS (in a good way!). Maybelline's Eye Stiletto Eyeliner, $7.20 & Maybelline's Great Lash Mascara, $6.40
- My hair gets SO DRY. And it flakes, yuck. Head and Shoulders works wonders (shampoo) and Aussie's 3-Minute Miracle Deep Conditioner, $4.20 is the weekly fix that I desperately need (conditioner).
- More fashion but no less beauty related... wear hats and sunnies as often as possible when outdoors. It's that extra protection from the harsh sun you don't know how much you really do need.
And.... that's it! That's as far as my beauty goes! I never thought of it as a lot until I actually wrote it out in steps. But it's what I need right now.
Please share your beauty routine! Do we have any products in common? What are you loving right now? xx